LAUNCH OF THE SENTINEL 2 B SATELLITE
Sentinel 2 LAUNCH IN A NUTSHELL:
- After the launch of the Guiana Space Center, the motor phase of the first three stages of Vega will last 6 minutes, 32 seconds.
- After this first phase, the third stage of the launcher will separate from the upper composite.
- Which includes the upper stage AVUM, a payload adapter and the satellite.
- The three lower stages will fall into the sea.
- The upper stage AVUM switches on its engine for the first time, operating for about 7 minutes.
- Followed by a ballistic phase of about 40 minutes.
- The AVUM stage will then restart its motor for about 2 minutes.
- Before releasing the Sentinel-2B satellite about one minute after the engine stops.
- Sentinel-2B will serve a wide range of terrestrial surface and coastal zone applications.
- This mission provides information on agricultural and forestry practices.
- To help manage food security.
- Satellite images will be used to determine various plant indices
- Such as the chlorophyll content of the leaf area and the water content indices.
- This is particularly important for efficient prediction of yield and applications
- And related to the vegetation of the Earth.
- In addition to monitoring plant growth, Sentinel-2 can be used to map changes in soil cover.
- And to monitor the world’s forests.
Examples of applications:
- Monitoring of land cover change for environmental monitoring.
- Agricultural applications, such as crop monitoring and management to support food security.
- Detailed monitoring of vegetation and forests and generation of parameters eg: leaf area index, chlorophyll concentration, carbon mass estimates.
- Observation of coastal areas monitoring of the marine environment, mapping of coastal areas.
- Inland water monitoring.
- Monitoring of glaciers, mapping of ice extent, monitoring of snow cover.
- Flood management and mapping, risk analysis, loss assessment, disaster management during floods.
- The Sentinel Monitoring Web application provides a simple way to view.
- And analyze land changes based on archived Sentinel-2 data.
DATE AND TIME OF LAUNCH:
- Date: March 6, 2017.
- Time: 10:49:24 pm, local time in French Guiana.
- Location: Vega Launch Complex (SLV) in Kourou, French Guiana.